Monday, April 25, 2011

Settling in

Hey look, I made it to New York and I started a blog!  Things are going well.  My dorm room is about the same size as my bedroom back in DC, but it's comfortable.  I don't officially start the internship until tomorrow, but yesterday I helped feed and water the pair of horses who help plow the fields here.  There are also honeybees, chickens and cows on the property as well as chipmunks, rabbits, and a lot of birds.  Currently, there's a parade of small children in rain hats passing the dorm on their way back to the Waldorf school that's on the campus.  There's no shortage of activity around here.

I'll try to be good about providing regular updates.  It will all depend on how exhausted I am at the end of the day.  Thanks for your interest in my agricultural odyssey.

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on getting started, Laura! Looking forward to hearing about your adventures :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for doing such interesting things, Laura ... and for keeping us posted along the way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to know that you are settling into your new life with ease-although I guess work could get harder in the near future. If this blog is anything like the one from your WWOOF experience, I'll be thrilled to see the updates. I've been meaning to call you. My supervisor here in Atlanta is going to Prince Edward Island this summer. Any advice about places to stay, eat, explore?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, there's no shortage of beaches on PEI: Cavendish has red rocks, Argyle Shore has red cliffs, Basin Head has singing sands, and Greenwich has the dunes. Climbing to the tower of the West Point lighthouse and having lunch in the restaurant below was fun. Ride or walk a section of the Confederation Trail. Of course, there's always Green Gables for Anne fans. The food on the Island is really good. I think it's because there's a culinary academy there and the chefs stick around. Our favorites in Charlottetown were Formosa Tea House (great fried rice), Rum Runners, Merchantman Pub, Cora's, and Cedars. For a 4-star restaurant, there's The Inn at Bay Fortune.

    ReplyDelete