Thursday, April 28, 2011

Perks

Here are just a few of the benefits of being an intern here:


  • Free produce from the garden, like delicious spinach and chard 
  • 10% off at the food co-op
  • Free dinner at the restaurant on Thursday nights

The last one I learned about at around 4:30 today.  This was much to my delight as I was already planning to make a ritual of having dinner at the restaurant on Thursdays because it's the only night that dinner is served.  Little did I know that Chef Anthony has a soft spot for the interns and let's us come for a "family dinner", including wine and dessert (I'm more interested in the dessert than the wine, but I appreciate the offer).

It was great to sit and enjoy a meal with the other interns as well as Anthony and his family and friends.  I'm getting to know my team little by little; they have all had interesting experiences that led them here and they have good senses of humor.  I'll profile them for you one by one over several postings:

Josh started just two weeks before me.  He lives across the hall and we share a bathroom (only one person can use it at a time, but we have had no problems with this).  He grew up in Massachusetts, studied art and film at New York University and later worked in Los Angeles.  He's easygoing and kind: when he found out that intern Kirstin had never learned to ride a bike as a child because of hip problems, he gave her a lesson in the parking lot.  He also helped me move into the dorm last Saturday without my asking.  Since we're on somewhat equal footing as far as agricultural experience, he'll be a good teammate to have for the coming year.

Beginning tomorrow afternoon, I'll be in workshops on organic honeybee care.  This will conclude on Saturday afternoon, about 15 hours of training in total.  As I know very little about honeybees, I expect to learn plenty...

2 comments:

  1. I love family style dinners--yum! Can't wait to hear more about your new friends-people and animals alike :) Thanks for the email about PEI.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you still stop at 2 pm and wonder where you were supposed to be for a second? Missing you already!

    ReplyDelete